Scroll down for

-Katya's story
-Newspaper article from The Metrowest Daily News
-Article from The Boston College Chronicle
-Newspaper article from The Weston Town Crier
-My Grant Proposal
-Katya's Health Education Project Report (5 Part)
-Picture slideshow from my Summer 2008 Uganda trip
-Video picture slideshow with traditional Ugandan music

Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Almost done

It is 12:30, and I can barely keep my eyes open. The last few days I have been working late to get things together. Tomorrow I leave for the Cape for 6 days and I miraculously was able to get almost everything done. The first aid kits, posters, and copies have been made. Tomorrow, I will do some last minute laminating and then.... I think everything is ready. That only leaves packing, which I am dreading. Right now, my plan is to bring 3 bags, one with personal items and two for medical supplies and project supplies. Hopefully, I can fit everything and still be under the 50 pound weight limit. Already, with these new regulations, I am having to pay a total of $2oo to check the second and third bag. I may have to pay even more than that if the weight is over.

On a different note, the response to The Metrowest Daily News article has been overwhelming. Not only have I gotten so much encouraging words from friends and family, but I have also received kind words from complete strangers. Yesterday, a couple contacted me and offered to donate 1000 hotel bars of soap, which is more than I could ever ask for and will surely make a difference in the lives of the Ugandan schoolchildren that I will be working with. Today, a BC alum sent me a very nice email wishing me the best of luck on my trip. All I can say is thank you. Thank you to my family for sticking with me and helping me along the way. Thank you to my friends who have helped make this all come together by putting together the first aid kits, making the posters, copying activites, etc. And thank you to the Metrowest and BC community for everything you have done to contribute to my project. Whether it was a donation or simply words of encouragement, I cannot thank you enough.

9 days till I leave!

No comments:

Post a Comment