Scroll down for

-Katya's story
-Newspaper article from The Metrowest Daily News
-Article from The Boston College Chronicle
-Newspaper article from The Weston Town Crier
-My Grant Proposal
-Katya's Health Education Project Report (5 Part)
-Picture slideshow from my Summer 2008 Uganda trip
-Video picture slideshow with traditional Ugandan music

Monday, June 8, 2009

My General Plan

Here is my general plan as of now for my program:

First off, I plan on making small first aid kits with some of the supplies to give to each teacher in each of the classrooms. The same goes for the hand sanitizer. I still need a plan for the bars of soap. I need to work a system for those. Water is scarce so putting soap in the bathrooms wouldnt be productive if there is no water. I think I may give the soap to the headmasters/mistresses and they can bring it out on the days where water is available.

In terms of specifics for my program, my plan right now is do activities with the students to get them involved and interested in the material at hand. I have found some nice handwashing and germs coloring sheets online that the kids can color. This will be best for the younger grade levels, where they have not learned english yet. For the older children, I have a cute song that I found that I plan on teaching the kids. I know from last summer that they love music so this should be a great way to engage them and get them to remember the importance of handwashing.

From here, I need to work on figuring out alternative handwashing methods because unfortunately the bars of soap and hand sanitizer will not last forever. I was told about a method in which ash is used, but I need to look into this. Once again, if anyone knows of any alternatives, please let me know.

I would also like to take this moment to thank my teachers who have come forward offering to collect supplies and run fundraisers. I really appreciate it. Teachers always go above and beyond and I cannot thank you enough!

No comments:

Post a Comment