Scroll down for

-Katya's story
-Newspaper article from The Metrowest Daily News
-Article from The Boston College Chronicle
-Newspaper article from The Weston Town Crier
-My Grant Proposal
-Katya's Health Education Project Report (5 Part)
-Picture slideshow from my Summer 2008 Uganda trip
-Video picture slideshow with traditional Ugandan music

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Kibale National Forest - July 12

I have arrived in the Kibale National Forest. I am staying on a field station here. The drive here went by quickly. It felt like just yesterday I was making the same trip. On the field station, my living facility, known as a duplex, consist of a door with a hall and two rooms off the hall. There are two of these per building. My room only has as bed. Tomorrow, I am going to go and try to find a chair so I don’t have to climb underneath the mosquito netting covering my bed every time I want to sit. There is also no bathroom, only a latrine. A latrine for those of you that don’t know is a little room with a whole in the ground. It requires squatting and a lot of aim.

Since arriving on the field station I have seen a bunch of baboons and some "colabus" monkeys. I just hope a baboon doesn’t wonder into my building when the doors are open. I’d rather not have a personal encounter with one.

I met one of the McGill students tonight. I am going to meet with them tomorrow morning at around 8:30 and then head to clinic with them at 9. There are two nurses, who alternate days at the clinic and days doing outreach in the schools. One of the nurses, Denis, lives in the same building as me with his family. His two children are absolutely adorable. I haven’t met them personally, but every time I walk by the older of the two, who is probably 2 or 3, wonders out in his pink crocks and says, “hi.” He is so cute.

Night.

PLEASE NOTE THAT MOST WORDS IN QUOTATION MARKS ARE WORDS I AM NOT SURE HOW TO SPELL.

No comments:

Post a Comment