Scroll down for

-Katya's story
-Newspaper article from The Metrowest Daily News
-Article from The Boston College Chronicle
-Newspaper article from The Weston Town Crier
-My Grant Proposal
-Katya's Health Education Project Report (5 Part)
-Picture slideshow from my Summer 2008 Uganda trip
-Video picture slideshow with traditional Ugandan music

Tuesday, August 4, 2009

Final Week

I cannot believe that in less than a week I will be back in the States. I would be lying if I said I wasn't excited. I actually can't wait. This does not mean my time here has not been good, but with being sick (I am still suffering some problems), I am looking forward to being home. I have officially gotten everything I wanted to get done done. I have visited three different levels of medical centers. Yesterday was the trip to the hospital. It was incredible to see what a hospital looks like in a third world country, since I had expected more at the clinics. The hospital, however, was what I expected. I will post pictures of two different medical clinics and the hospital when I am back in the states. I will also post the information I typed up on each.

Right now, looking at everything I accomplished, I feel as though I got the most out of the health education and donating of supplies to the schools. This is mainly because I felt the children benefited extremely from it. Beatrice, a P1 (kindergarten) teacher, said her students have been practicing the coughing into the sleeve rather than the mouth. Another teacher told me that she and her students learned something new. They didn't know before that you should rub your hands together with soap for 20 seconds. She said that before my lesson she would just wipe her hands on the bar of soap and then rinse it off. I had a wonderful moment the other day when I went to the schools with the first aid supplies and soap. The headmaster at Kikko ran and came back with a locked box that read first aid. He said, "This has been empty for years and now it will be filled." It really touched me.

Before I leave, I have a meeting with Lucy the nurse. I am leaving her with my materials and health education project so that she can carry it out in the other schools. We have also arranged for her to go to all five schools and show the teachers and administrators how to use the first aid supplies I provided.

Once again, thank you to everyone who helped make this happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment